What is English Honours?
English Honours as a course stimulates and enhances original thinking and critical habits of the mind through a broad knowledge of the development of literatures in English. The course helps students in understanding and appreciating the evolution and transformation of the language over centuries. The course comprises of a selection from world literatures, designed to equip the student with an understanding of such works and their authors, the socio-political contexts that produced them, the issues they deal with, and their relevance to our times.
What are the various career prospects after pursuing English Honours?
A lot of people generally associate English Honours with only 2 prospects: academic teaching and journalistic writing. They couldn't be more wrong. Beyond academics and media, English Honours does provide a strong base for Civil Services, Fine Arts and Performing Arts, Writing/ Publishing, Law, Human Resources Department in MNCs and copyrighting and advertizing. This is so because it enhances the articulation skill in its students immensely.
Pursuing English Honours at an undergraduate level
English Honours is one of the most prominent courses offered by almost all colleges of University of Delhi. The top colleges include St Stephen's, Lady Sri Ram, Hindu, Hansraj, Miranda House, IP College for Women, Gargi, Kamla Nehru, etc. In majority of the colleges, till 2012 admissions were granted through an aptitude examination (Combined Aptitude Test for English - CATE). CATE has been increasingly accepted by majority of the top league colleges as the criteria for selection of students. In 2012, more than 20 colleges admitted students on the basis of their CATE result (70% weightage) and XII marks (30% weightage). From 2013, admission to English Honours under University of Delhi was through Class XII Marks.
Some of the University of Delhi Colleges offering English Honours are:
||Prospective Date of Exam
|Jamia Millia Islamia
||2nd Week of June 2016
||17 April 2016
Note: All exam dates are subject to change.
Integrated M.A in English Studies. Click Here to Read More.
At PRATHAM we offer a Crash Course to our Students which starts immediately after boards.
Features of English Language Crash Course
- DURATION: Two month training program with classes minimum 4 days a week starting from March end to June.
- STUDY MATERIAL: Knowledge Primer pertaining to subjective sections like Verbal Ability, Logical Reasoning, and General Awareness along with a special book catering to Creative Writing sectionwill be provided to the students.In addition to this, the student will get enough practice questions in the form of class handouts, topic tests, sectional tests, comprehensive tests and full length tests. Additional material on Current Affairs and a Year Book is also included in our package as a special feature.
- CLASSES: The student goes through rigorous knowledge sessions by the expert in the industry. The session is divided into class exercise, class test and home assignment. Specialized classes on Media Awareness are also conducted by an expert in the field.
- PERFORMANCE EVALUATION: University specific mock papers are created after thorough research of the pattern of the respective university exam. We have separate mock series of major entrance exams like for IP University, Symbiosis University, St. Xavier’s College etc. based on past year question papers keeping in mind the new patterns announced by universities. Our test series are proctored by an expert of the respective subject.
- ONLINE Support System - Each student will have the access to PSIS (PRATHAM Student Information System),an online support system on PRATHAM website. PSIS contains numerous subject wise topic tests, comprehensive tests and sectional tests. It contains mocks pertaining to the respective exam with detailed explanation.
- OVERALL PERSONALITY DEVELOPMENT SESSIONS: Students go through number of group discussion sessions under the supervision of the subject expert who guides them in terms of both, content and presentation skills. Students are further trained on effective interview skills while participating in demo interview sessions during the month of May.
- NOTIFICATIONS and UPDATES: Update of exam notifications is announced through e-mails, PISIS and SMS.
- COUNSELING AND GUIDANCE: Guidance in institute selection, once the results are declared.
- Unlimited doubt solving sessions and regular backup/revision classes.